Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Heavenly Father sent me to Independence


This last week has had the biggest highs and lows of my ENTIRE mission. We've been working with the Bell family for about 8 weeks now. Sylvia and Patrick were scheduled to be baptized Sat. April 25th. So last P-day (Wednesday) we went to their house for a lesson and let’s just say it was bad... I love that family, but it was a rough night. We ended up being kicked out of their house and the baptism was off. We cried. Of course we cried. But the mom asked us to keep meeting with Sylvia and Pat even though they weren't going to be baptized. The kids were heartbroken... Then we went by the house again Friday night to say hi to the parents and the mom told us the baptism was back on! I don't know what changed their minds but Sylvia and Patrick were baptized on Saturday. It was one of the happiest moments on my mission so far. I love that whole family, but have an especially close relationship with Sylvia. I've said it a lot before, but she and I really are kindred spirits. We just have a lot in common.

She wrote me a letter later the night after she was baptized and gave it to me the next day. In it she said, "I feel so clean. So right. So pure. I was almost expecting the water to turn black with my past, and coming up from the water, everything looked different. It felt quite literally like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Even the overcast skies show beauty. You are a true hero and the best friend anyone can ask for."

I have so much gratitude in my heart to know that my Heavenly Father sent me to Independence to find her. To help her learn about the gospel that has changed her life as well as my own for the better. She and I really will be friends forever. I love that girl. Finding her and teaching her and helping her understand her divine potential as a daughter of God has made this mission worth it.

Speaking of moments that make this mission worth it, I wrote last month about two men from Midland China: Nick and Athos. Well, I got special permission from the Mission President to stay in touch with them since they will not be able to learn about the gospel in Midland. But I received an email from Nick today and in the letter he said this: "I am very pleased to meet you, and thank you for your kind assistance. That experienced is an unusual. I've learned a lot from you. It's unforgettable in my life. I have got the book of mormon last weekend. Now, I come to this book every day."     I know the Book of Mormon changes lives. I know it changed mine. I know it changed Sylvia's. I know it is starting to change Nick's. ~sigh.~ ...         My life is pretty great. 

I had the great opportunity to spend some time with Ted Nelson this week. For those of you who don't already know, he is my ward mission leader from Murray 24th ward at home. He is a wonderful man with many great spiritual insights and knowledge. He has a wonderful testimony and serves the Lord well. It surprisingly DIDN'T make me miss home. Because it made it feel like home wasn't so far away. It's been a good week. Next week will mark my 3 month mark, which means I am 1/6th of the way done with my mission already. Wow. It's weird when you break it up in fractions. Don't worry everyone. I'll be home in no time.

This weeks personal study was AMAZING! Yesterday serving at the Visitor Center was SLOW, so that meant that we all had a LOT of time to study. I found that the mysteries of the scriptures were being unfolded to me. City of Enoch, Urim and Thummim, Millennium, Eternal Life, The New and Everlasting Covenant, Worlds without End... I mean DEEP AMAZING MYSTERIES. It was AWESOME! I love studying!

Dream Big, Wish Hard, and Love Always

Love you!

Jessica Rose

 

No comments: