Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I'm so grateful

This last week I've been learning about what a true sacrifice is... In serving a mission I know that I had to leave everything and everyone I love at home. I was pretty homesick last week. By Friday I was plotting my way back to Salt Lake. Fortunately, the Lord humbled me and reminded me that it was his will for me to be here. And sometimes it is REALLY hard for me to be away from everyone and everything... But that is what makes it a sacrifice. If it was easy, I really wouldn't be giving a lot up now would I? If I wasn't giving up things that I held truly valuable, it really wouldn't be a sacrifice, now would it?

In thinking about sacrifice I know that I had everything I ever wanted in the palm of my hand and I walked away knowing that the Lord would have something better for me in Independence. Man... and sometimes I just think I'm crazy. But TRULY the Lord HAS blessed me on my mission. I know that sacrifice is NOT easy for any of us- whether it's serving a mission, paying tithing, giving up coffee, taking three hours out of every Sunday to go to church.... No matter how big or how small the sacrifice, I know that the Lord knows acknowledges our service and dedication. I know he understands how much it can hurt sometimes. It's amazing to me to think that in Luke 22:42, when the Savior was in Gethsemane that he cried to the father Saying, "Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done." The Savior had NO idea how much pain he would endure. But regardless of how hard it was going to be, he chose the will of the father and suffered for each of us. He didn't HAVE to suffer. He chose to suffer of his own free will. If only we could all strive to be so obedient to our Heavenly Father's plan...

The great thing is that this plan isn't really about the HARD things. It's about the blessings that follow the affliction. The blessings that follow after the sacrifice. I know that the blessings always far exceed the hard times; even if not in this life, our reward will be in the life hereafter.

I'm so grateful for the truths of the gospel and for the humbling experiences I've had this week. I'm grateful that I get to write home every week and tell everyone the new things I'm learning. It's amazing to see the lives of people change. Particularly as of late the Bell Family. Yvette (The mom) committed to be baptized on May 27th. Please keep her and her family in your prayers. Vickie still has a baptism scheduled for May 23rd. I am truly experiencing miracles in Independence. But of all the lives that I have witness change in, I am so surprised at the way the Lord is shaping me and molding me. Strengthening me. Building me. Refining me. I am truly grateful for his love and guidance in my life.

I have a quote that I keep in my Preach my Gospel. It says: "Father, I pledge to you anew my love and my loyalty. I give you my entire self, my body, my free will, my spirit. Help me to live each moment of my present life in your service, consecrating it to you with fervent love. Without reservation, I also embrace every circumstance of my future- all you have planned for me or will permit me to become, every joy and sorrow, every triumph and failure. Thy will be done. Likewise, I offer you every moment of my past life. Even my failings, my refusals to serve, my betrayals, I give to you and ask for your forgiveness for all that I should have given you then. Take then, my past, my present, and my futures, fuse them in to one great whole. Accept me. Strengthen me. Help me to be what you desire." It is my prayer that we may all find the desire in our hearts to submit our will to our Father in Heaven. For I truly know that he has a plan of happiness far greater than our minds can comprehend right now. I know he loves us and will take care of us always. I know he is mindful of our weaknesses and desires to strengthen us if we come unto him.

And of course I love all of you at home. Don't worry. I think the homesickness has passed for now. But I still remain to keep all of you in my prayers. Once again I'd like to wish a Happy Late Mother's day to all the Mother's at home.

Dream Big. Wish Hard. And Love Always-

Jessica Rose

No comments: