Monday, December 21, 2009

Dreams of Sugar Plums


This week there is magic in the air. I love Christmas. Most hilarious week of my mission I think. And most of it had NOTHING to do with missionary work. But bear with me. These have been some of my favorite craziest moments of 2009.

First off, Sister Bradley and I were driving to Bishop Curtis's house. Sister Bradley was driving and I was co-pilot. The roads are still pretty slick, so we went to stop to turn, the car slid past the street. GRRR. Bishop Curtis was RIGHT BEHIND US TOO! He was on his way home from picking some of his kids up from after school activities. How embarrassing! He just kind of laughed at us, and continued on making a left turn onto his street.
And I really didn't want to get out of the car and guide back Sister Bradley to make a three-point turn (it's cold out there!) So I told Sister Bradley that we could just drive through the cemetery. Well. we were on the road path and we hit a HUGE snow drift in the path. We made it through it though! ~phew.~ THEN THERE WAS ANOTHER ONE AND WE HIGH CENTERED OUR CAR! "WAY TO GO WISE GUYS!" So we got out of the car and started stamping down the snow around our wheels. Haha. No sooner than we said, "Bishop is going to think we're ridiculous!" did we see his truck pulling up. ~GUH!~ Then all the kids piled out of the car. We were all laughing so hard. We ended up pushing the car out of the snow. Thanks to awesome Bishops and cute kids who rescue the Sisters when they do stupid things. HILARIOUS!

Sister Bradley and I also rode bikes this week! It was sunny on Sunday and we decided to save miles we'd ride our bikes to church. This is the first time I've ridden a bike my WHOLE mission! I think I was riding for like 20 minutes before I felt like I was going to fall off because of exhaustion. So we walked with our bikes the rest of the way. -It's lame to be weak sauce!- And we laughed a lot. It was pretty pathetic.

Then, transfer calls came this week. Another funny story. So Sister Bradley and I were walking all day in Larned and we decided if neither of us was training, we would stay together in Great Bend. President VanKomen usually calls new leaders and trainers between 12 and 3 so we figured if we didn't get a phone call by 3 we were set to go! So 5:00 roles around and we were talking about transfer calls when the PHONE RINGS! And we both looked at each other sorrowfully and I reached in my bag. It was Kim! ~phew!~ Not President. So then we laughed at how we were SOOO WORRIED! THEN not even 1 minute after I'd gotten off the phone with Kim, the phone rings again. We're thinking it's Kim calling back because she forgot something. Then I look at the phone. "President." My heart dropped. Okay, maybe not THAT hilarious but, super ironic.

News came that the Lord has called Sister Bradley to train a new Sister from Samoa in Great Bend, and I'm getting shipped out to Concordia, Missouri to follow-up train. -sigh.- So tomorrow, the 22nd I'll be shipped out to the OTHER side of the mission. 7 hours on the bus! Hooray! It's weird to be transferred right before Christmas. But it is what it is.

I CANNOT WAIT TO TALK TO MY FAMILY! Hooray for Christmas!
Love ya'll.

Dream of Sugar Plums. Wish for Snow. Love Always. Merry Christmas!
Jessica Rose

No comments: