Monday, December 7, 2009

More WHITE and Red Lipstick

Hello everyone in the warm state of Utah. It's FREEZING OUT HERE! Wednesday is looking like a high of 9 degrees from what they say. I hope everyone is praying SUPER hard that I don't turn into a popsicle out here!!! Last night it snowed for like a half a second, but the whole road turned into a sheet of ice. It was bad enough that we got a phonecall telling us to go to our apartment and not to leave for the rest of the night! Which was actually pretty lame because we had some important appointments we had to cancel! LAME! So we made about a ZILLION phone calls and updated our Areabook and went through Former investigators... it was an interesting night.


ASIDE FROM THE COLD, YESTERDAY WAS ALSO VERY WHITE! The Phillips Family- Carmen, Matt, and Austin got baptized! It was so wonderful! Carmen is such a strong woman with all that she has been through and the spirit was especially strong as she took part in this most sacred ordinance. What a beautiful moment that was!

‘Tis the Christmas season. This week we had our Ward Christmas Party! Sister Bradley and I were asked to sing a duet last minute. Marshmallow Christmas? I must be lame, because I'm pretty sure I've NEVER heard of this song before... and I pretty sure I forgot almost ALL of the words when we were singing. It was pretty amusing. Good thing I'm entertaining anyway!!! I'm pretty sure Sister Bradley thinks I'm ridiculous! Haha!

I love these little towns! One town ACTUALLY HAD A "MERRY CHRISTMAS" Banner across their main street. Not a "Happy Holidays" but a "Merry Christmas!" Sister Bradley and I were pretty excited to see it!

Also had an exchange with Sister Kim Frandsen (from S. Jordan, UT.) this week. It was fun because she knows a lot of my best friends who went to Bingham! Yay! She is a fan of Red lipstick, but doesn't get to wear it as a missionary so I told her to bring it... and well... that evening we had some fun playing with Christmas makeup! Missouri Independence Mission Sister Wathen Style! Woop Woop! We had a TON OF FUN! She is a doll!!!


Christmas season means Christmas Devotional. Even though I'm not in SLC... it was great to see the lights up at Temple Square. My favorite message was from the Prophet, President Monsen, "Real joy comes through love." ~sigh~ Never was there a more true statement ever told. I'm excited to talk to my family this Christmas! Any of you who have been missionaries before know that there is NO GREATER GIFT than JUST BEING ABLE TO TALK TO THOSE YOU LOVE! I think I'm starting to get it. Don't send me packages and bows... all I need is love! 19 more days until Christmas!

The work out here is going well. I have faith that there will be more WHITE (as in baptisms) this transfer!!! ...and I guess also white because of the snow... The cold weather in Great Bend is the next big challenge of my mission. But the Lord tells us in Ether 12, "I will prepare you against these things." I am PREPARED! 2 LAYERS OF GLOVES, 2 COATS, EARMUFFS AND A HAT, WARM SOCKS AND BOOTS! I'm so thankful for warm clothing! OH AND A CAR! I'm SOOOO SO grateful for our car! Being willing to get OUT of the car... that's a bit of a challenge still. But I will try to "press forward with a perfect brightness of hope" (2 Ne. 31:20) that the spirit and the love of Christ will keep me warm this cold season!

Dream Big. Wish Hard. LOVE LOVE LOVE and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Your favorite popsicle-
Sister Jessica Rose Wathen

No comments: