Monday, March 15, 2010

The LORD has strengthened me.

So, this will cover two weeks of events. Let's just say a lot has happened! A lot always happens when you're a missionary. Haha.
First things first, Sister Bradley and I are not sick anymore!!! HOORAY!!! We've been working our tails off trying to catch up for all of our down time. Our Members here in Concordia are great! They help so much with the missionary work! The Carrs got released as the ward mission leaders, which we were sad about. Our branch president is praying to know who would be best to be called to the position next. We went to the Liberty Jail with Casey and went to the Visitor Center with the Bergs and with Dawn and Jeremy. We've been spending a lot of time in Independence and Liberty these last two weeks! It's been a lot of fun. Our investigator Patty bore her testimony to her friend at work, and now HE wants to hear about the gospel! I love it when our investigators do missionary work! It is SOOO cool! Patty has come leaps and bounds these last couple of weeks. It's taken a LONG time to get her to this point that she's FINALLY progressing! She's finally reading and really investigating the doctrine of the church! It's great.

Two weeks ago we had interviews with President and Sister VanKomen. I love them! President VanKomen said that my mission was similar to running a marathon. He said, "You're near the end, and you're tired, but you keep going. The reward is at the end." 100-yards Sister Wathen. That's been a pretty common theme of my mission. Then in my interview with Sister VanKomen, she called me a Steel Magnolia. What I gathered is that a steel magnolia is a woman who is strong but still remains beautiful! I think she is sweet. I told Sister VanKomen that SHE is a steel magnolia. Haha. I took some time to expound upon what they told me. What it means to ME to be a steel magnolia. To be strong enough to finish any race, endure any trial. I think the word is FEARLESS. I was reading a talk by Sheri Dew this last week, she talked about our loyalty to god, and that in the preexistence we were the ones who stood loyally by God and by Jesus, and did not flinch. We believed. We followed. And when we fought for truth in the most bitter of all confrontations, we did not flinch. She explained that we are much more valiant that we think and that we have so much more divine potential than we yet comprehend. We are noble and great. Courageous and determined. Faithful and FEARLESS. That is who we are that that is who we have always been.
I know that the LORD has strengthened me to get where I am today. I love the scripture in 2 Samuel 2:7 where it says, "let your hands be strengthened, and be ye valiant." I also love the scripture in Nehemiah 8:10 that says, "the joy of the Lord is your strength."

Love is the fire in my heart that keeps me going. Love always hopes. Love always believes... even when you don't. Love is the place you fly to. Love will never fail you... Love gives me the power to endure. Love teaches me what I need to learn from difficult situations. Love is my light and happiness and my joy. Love is everything...

Thank you for the constant love and support you have given me on my mission. I don't know where I would be without you. There is someone else who is in need of your love and prayers.

Last week, we found out that President VanKomen has cancer. But he is fearless. He is determined to remain here as our mission president as he does treatments in Kansas City and he is determined to win. He inspires me. Please pray for him. I love him so much. He has shown me love that has strengthened me in my times of need. Now I need to extend that same love and prayers for him.

PRAY FERVANTLY. Dream Big. Wish Hard. LOVE ALWAYS-
Jessica Rose

No comments: