Saturday, April 24, 2010

That's what you needed to learn

Hello everyone. Another great week in the trio means more crazy moments with Sister Smith and Villalobos. So, in trying to train Sister Smith to be a Visitor Center Sister, we were on a tour together in front of the Christus. After we had finished the intro, she yelled "I get to push the button!" Then she proceeded to HURDLE over of the large plants to make sure that she got to the button to make the presentation play first. Crazy competitive girl! I love her SOOO much. Last week we went "roo huntin'" with nerf guns. This week we went "walabee hunting" after Sister Collado, a sister from New Zealand. Hahaha... We also decided to make my life a sitcom. Sister Smith is the producer of the new upcoming show LONE TREE HILL. Joseph Smith said that a lot of trees standing together could withstand storms just fine, but one tree standing alone has to get deep roots really fast to withstand the winds. Sister Smith said, "It's like your mission! Lone. Tree. Hill." I almost died of laughter. "On the latest episode of Lone Tree Hill..." BAHAHAHA. It's probably not that funny to all of you at home, but I'm loving it! President VanKomen is now enforcing the OLD music rule again in order to try to "increase spirituality." For about 6 months, we could listen to anything white handbook approved. AKA. Jessie Clark Funk, EFY, anything Christian. NOW, it's back to ONLY Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and Hymns... And I'm back to being a grumpy gus!!! Haha. I'm kidding. Sister Smith and I found a way to make it fun. So, we turned on some classical Vivaldi and Sister Smith says, "This is great! Just make up cartoons in your head! ...Silly little gray cat!" Hahaha!!! Oh man... Transfers are this week and I don't expect us to stay together which I'm super sad about!!! I don't know what I'm going to do!!! Last time I lost Sister Smith, I got Sister Bradley... So I'm kind of praying that I get Sister Bradley back again for a THIRD TIME. I know it's not reasonable or even probable... but a girl can dream! Sister Smith and Villalobos are probably SO excited to get rid of me though. This week, I thought Sister Villalobos was in the car and I drove off and didn't notice she wasn't in the car until I'd driven about 3 blocks down the road, and I jammed Sister Smith's elbow in the car door. Haha. I'm the worst companion ever!!! But we sure do laugh a lot!!!

This week the Community of Christ conference came to a close and they made some changes in their church and there is already a new break off church! ~sigh.~ It was fun to visit with so many members of their church however. It was interesting to see some of the differences even though we have the same restoration.

I had an amazing experience on Sunday that I wanted to share with you. So Melody is a beautiful 16 year old ballerina and a Recent Convert to the church since last June. She's been going to her old church a lot, because she doesn't feel like she has any friends--- except for me. But she has a STRONG testimony of the restored gospel....But recently, she just got a new boyfriend who goes to a different church, so I was thinking she was lost. -Where is your faith, Sister Wathen?- We've been working with her a lot and so, miracle #1--- Melody came to church on Sunday and sat by me and my companions! After Sacrament meeting she asked me if she could go with me to my adult class. I told her she would have to go to the "young Sunday School" but that I would go with her just this one time. So I go on a split so my companions can stay with our investigators who also attended this week. So Melody and I walk in, and a member of the bishopric is there and I could tell he was scrambling. I asked, "Is there something I can help you with?" He said, "Two of our Sunday school teachers didn't show up." I told him I would be happy to teach the class. And I said to them what elder Snow had told us a few weeks ago, "I don't have a message for you. But I know that God does." So I told them revelation starts with questions. I asked if they had anything they had been wanting to learn more about. One young woman raised her hand and said, "The second coming." I started to teach of the signs of the second coming... then paused. Listen to what the Lord wants you to say, Sister Wathen. He didn't want me to teach about what happens at the second coming, but how we are to prepare for the second coming. We do that by building Zion. Like the city of Enoch. A city of one heart and one mind. So then we talked more about Zion. I asked them if we had Zion in our ward, if they had Zion in their families. Then I asked, Do we have Zion in this room??? Are we all of one heart and one mind? So we did an activity. Kind of a get to know you type of game. What are your favorite hobbies. If you prefer to play sports go to the left side of the room. If you prefer reading a book go to the middle. If you prefer shopping go to the left. Then I asked other fun questions. Then I said, If you consider yourself shy go to the right, if you consider yourself outgoing go to the left. Then we talked about Zion again. To reach out to those who are maybe different than you in order to be of one heart and one mind. They decided that in order to be Zion in that room that they all had to be friends and that they all had to have a love and concern and charity for one another. And I said, "THAT is exactly what the Lord wanted to you to learn today." At the end of class two beautiful young women were talking to Melody and invited her to go to the mall with them this Saturday and I wanted to jump for JOY! THEY GOT IT!!! They got the message. I was grateful that the Lord directed me to that very spot that Melody could have FRIENDS so she wouldn't feel so weird going to church. I've decided that it's time to change the status quo. And I'm starting with me. In order to build up Zion, I have to be a better friend, not only to strangers on the street but to those in my midst. A better friend to those whom I already love. So this is my shout out!!! I LOVE YOU ALL SOOOOO MUCH! Tomorrow I have 3 more months until I'm home! And I will give you all HUGE HUGS! <<
I was reading about Abinidi this week and I told Sister Smith that I really wanted to be like Abinidi. I wanted to be brave like him. She said, "You have time to BECOME like Abinidi. Don't forget. He was really old!" haha. She is right. The Lord is CHANGING me. I can feel it. I can almost see it! But I'm not there yet. I have to keep pressing forward. I was talking to Elder Nelson about the same thing and he told me, "Sister Wathen, Abinidi couldn't be Ammon. Someone had to hold the sheave." Haha... Elder Nelson is so deep! What he meant was that I couldn't be Abinidi and I couldn't be Ammon. That I just have to be the best Jessica Rose that I can be. I have to lead my OWN legacy of faith. I want love to be my legacy. So I will strive to love the best I can. To DREAM THE BIGGEST I CAN DREAM. TO WISH THE HARDEST THAT I CAN. TO FIND A SHOOTING STAR....AND TO LOVE... always.

Everyone of you can be that light on a hill. Just find it within you. You don't have to be Joseph. You don't have to be Daniel. Just be YOU and shine bright.

I love you all!
Forever and Always, no matter what-
Jessica Rose

No comments: