Monday, July 19, 2010

Forward...Onward...Upward


What an amazing week this has been. Christy Cato's baptism was wonderful! I have never seen someone so excited to be baptized! She was running around giddy! It was so fun to watch! During the program, peace entered into the room, and into the hearts of all those in attendance as Papa Cato and Bro. Mendosa spoke of the power of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost and how it would bless Christy's life forever. Then as her husband Harrison said the baptismal prayer, tears swelled in his eyes, and it reminded me of my dad. Harry has a tender heart just like my daddy. So then I began to cry. Then I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE in the room was crying because everyone in the room could feel the Love of the Lord and the power of his presence. As Bishop Cato gave his niece her confirmation blessing, he blessed her that she would be a mother in the house of Israel, and that her family would be united eternally through the covenants and ordinances of the gospel.

It was such an amazing blessing to be a part of that miracle. To play a part in that special day for the Cato family. It is amazing to me to KNOW how our loving Heavenly Father truly values each individual soul. I know that being a part of this baptism was a gift from the Lord. I know that I have needed Christy and the Cato's this last month of my mission, and I know that they have needed me. We are bound in heart and spirit, in genuine love and care. I feel more a part of this family more than ever.... just in time to go home to my mom and dad at the end of this week. It's kind of a strange thing... going home. As one friend explained it to me, "The great and dreadful day." I'm so excited to go home to Utah, and yet, change takes time. So if I'm crazy for a bit when I get back to Utah, know that I'm just feeling a little homesick.

Wherever you go, go with all of your heart. Go forward with faith and hope. Reflecting back on my mission, I know that the Lord has taught me so much. During those times at the 20 yard line when I didn't think I'd make it, or even at the 60, or 80 yard line... Paul, speaking to his son Timothy says, "Notwithstanding [my trials] the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion." I know that he has strengthened me to move forward during the hard times, and other times he has sent his angels to carry me when I felt as though I couldn't take one more step forward. Now I'm in the end-zone and I am grateful for everything I have been through. I know it has been through all of those hard times that I have come to better know the Lord. I know now more than ever the reality of his mission. The reality of his existence. I know that his gospel has been restored to the earth to day for such great and marvelous purposes... many of those miracles are still to come forth. It has been such a sacred opportunity to serve in Independence, Missouri: the Land of Zion. The Land of the New Jerusalem, where the Lord will come at the beginning of his Millennial reign... and even if it doesn't make sense to our mortal eyes, with an eye of faith I can feel the power in this land. I can't begin to fathom the beauty of this kingdom, but I know the majesty of God's Love. I can feel it in every corner of my heart... I know he lives.

As I move forward in faith, as I take this next step, it is not a step into the dark. I know that God has a divine purpose and plan for every single one of us and I look forward with hope and know that there is a bright future awaiting me. It is the prayer in my heart that I could share with you the light of the Lord. That you could feel that fire within your hearts. That you might be inspired this day, this hour, to stand as a disciple of Jesus Christ. To seal his name upon your heart and be moved to go and do something that makes a difference for someone else. Cultivate change. Rely on the Lord. Dream Big. Visualize success. Be a Hero. Pray fervently. Wish hard and Love Always,---

I love you. I love you. I love you.
Sister Jessica Rose Wathen

No comments: