Wednesday, April 22, 2009

After the Music has Stopped


Hey Everyone! This new transfer is going AWESOME!!! Sister Brusch is an AWESOME companion. I've already learned so much from her. We have a lot in common too, Which is a lot of fun. She is a Visitor Center Sister Leader, which is kind of like being a zone leader in Elder terms. So we go on exchanges with different sisters twice a week. At transfers I got to see my dear friend Allie Webb from home. She is cute as ever and excited for the work. She is in Manchester, Kansas. She told me that not much had changed at home. I'm not surprised because it's only been a little over two months... but at the same time it feels like FOREVER. The concept of time here on the mission is really interesting.


Independence Zone is BAPTIZING LIKE CRAZY! Next week I'll send you a picture of the board where we write all of our upcoming baptisms. There are a TON of them. It's awesome! Connie was baptized last week. It was so neat to be able to attend a baptism of someone I worked so closely with. I love her and love her daughter Melody. It was the first time I've been able to attend a baptism since my own in 2005. I could feel the spirit so strong and it reminded me of what a blessing it is that I have had the gospel for the last 3 and 1/2 years and the changes it has made in me and in my life.


This Saturday Patrick and Sylvia Bell are getting baptized. They are my favorite kids ever. Their parents will be baptized soon, but still need some time to work on some changes. They have encouraged the kids to get baptized anyway. I love Sylvia. I told you all last week that she reminded me of me. I know the Lord sent me here to find her, to help her overcome her trials, and to help her find where true happiness and peace can be found.


It's amazing to me how sometimes in the middle of an ordinary day, the Lord blesses us with miracles. He blesses us by putting people in our path that we really need to meet. Sylvia was definitely one of those people. But I also had a tour come in this last week from Highland, Utah. The Walker Family. They were so sweet and I truly felt the spirit and so close to home. Sometimes you just CONNECT with people. And this wonderful family... I tell you what, we just CONNECTED. They all had such firm testimonies of the gospel and understood the importance of studying history, and they had one son on a mission, and another one getting ready to turn in his papers in October. They were an amazing family. I just know that Heavenly Father blessed me with a little piece of home that day with the Walkers. I was so grateful for their visit.


This week we also had Dallyn Bayles, the guy who plays Hyrum Smith in the Joseph Smith movie, come to the Visitor Center. He was AWESOME! Sister Collado and I got to take him on a tour. It was funny though because we didn't even realize it was him until he started talking about filming the movie. He told us about his experience and how the spirit was truly guiding the work. He also told us the original Joseph Smith Movie was about three and a half hours long. But the brethren said it was too long. Now it's barely an hour. I WANT TO SEE THE REST OF IT!!! Haha. No. It's okay. But it was really a neat experience to meet him.


I had a GREAT lightbulb moment this week: Starting from the beginning. Before coming on my mission I was a super big baby about leaving my much loved LDS music collection at home (Since mission rules say you can only listen to hymns and classical music over 100 years old). I've always loved LDS artists. They have always helped me find peace in my sometimes crazy schedule and life. I felt like "If I have to leave my music at home, they mind as well tell me to leave my scriptures too". I have felt a special connection with many of the inspired songs and have felt that they have helped me build a testimony of my Savior Jesus Christ and the relationship he has with me as a daughter of God. My LDS music means everything to me... anyway, like I said before, I was a BIG BABY about leaving it at home. But I received a letter from an AMAZING friend at home and it was talking about peace. It described that the Peace that the Savior offers is the type of peace that remains even after the music has stopped. I am so humbled by that expression. I knew there was a lesson I needed to learn leaving my LDS music at home. I need to learn that I didn't need to rely on music to offer peace to my heart. But I needed to learn to rely more on the Savior. Now... I still HIGHLY encourage listening to uplifting inspiring music, I know it invites the spirit. But I'm just saying that the Savior offers peace that lasts even after the music has stopped. Even if there is NOTHING in the world that could solve your problem, nothing that could calm your nerves, nothing to comfort you... turn to the Savior. He is constant and eternal. He is always with us.


I love you all. Remember where there is great love, there are always miracles.


Dream Big, Wish Hard, and Love Always-


Sister Jessica Rose Wathen




1 comment:

Duff Clawson Private said...

Jessica,
Looks like your have a great time. I talked with your Dad today at church and he said you are having great success. We're all happy for you.

I'm now Ward Executive Secretary, so if you need an appointment with the Bishop, just let me know. ;)

Keep up the good work. Duff Clawson